April is Literacy Month!
Literacy has the power to open new doors to people and allows for economic, cultural and social growth. We hope to engage the population of Sucre through innovative reading activities that promote healthy debate about some of the toughest issues Bolivia currently faces.
Biblioworks has designated April as literacy month, so we will be bringing the joy of reading to Sucre via two exciting events:
- Sucre Reads is a fun activity where our staff and volunteers ride on local buses sharing books and reading with passengers and drivers.
- The Fifth Annual Reading Festival is a full-day activity that introduces children and adults to the love of books and reading. It gathers more than 2,000 students from different schools in Sucre and is open to the public as well. More than 20 organizations present their projects and programs encouraging literacy.
The day of the festival, people read everywhere, tucked into corners or settled right in the middle of the crowds; children win books as prizes; institutions teach children sign language, share books and stories for all ages, play reading and writing games, paint banners, and give away some books.
Librarians from BiblioWorks’ rural libraries travel to the city to be part of this event. They read stories aloud, create comic strips, and analyze the lyrics of popular songs. They show the work they have been doing during the year. This is a celebration.
With your help, we can make both days inspire a new generation of Bolivian children to find delight in books, and discover the life opportunities that this simple act can bring them. Some ways you can assist are:
- Providing books and educational materials to children by donating now via our Generosity fundraising campaign.
- Spreading the word about this campaign, and about BiblioWorks and the great work we are doing in Bolivia by sharing this post.
- Following us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and share the campaign amongst your followers!
Contacting firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about opportunities to volunteer during Sucre Reads and the Reading Festival!