Execute your own project to improve literacy in Bolivia
BiblioWorks has an amazing track record of creative and talented volunteers. We encourage self-driven projects and are always surprised and excited about our volunteers’ ideas. If you’re up to the challenge of executing your own project, you’re more than welcome to! We only ask that you commit to five weeks of work with us, and that you are dedicated to making your project sustainable. Your project is only as good as it can sustain itself.
We strongly believe that a new project is most effective if the creator lives at the project site.
Here are some ideas – get creative!
- Organizing events to sell books or promote reading habits
- Looking for more local funding
- Helping to strengthen library committees; planning and organizing community events
- Working one-on-one with teachers to help them make greater use of the libraries
- Making contacts in municipal governments and district educational offices with a view to opening new libraries
- Creating new games, activities to promote reading, and materials
- Organizing a cultural activity among all of the libraries to be held in the city of Sucre or in one of the libraries
- Painting murals in the libraries
- Creating reading clubs, eco clubs, music clubs, English clubs, etc., both in the city of Sucre and in the libraries
Responsibilities & Requirements
- Creating a dynamic and sustainable project that benefits BiblioWorks
- Weekly written reviews of project
- Organizing materials
- Previous experience with the subject of the project
- Strong initiative, as the position will have minimal supervision.
- Intermediate level of Spanish desirable
- 20 hours weekly time commitment to the project, with a minimum five week commitment
- Monetary means to pay for transport, accommodations, and food
BiblioWorks does not charge a fee to international volunteers. However, given that we rely entirely upon donations and fundraising to keep us running day-to-day, we ask that you fundraise a donation for the organization. This will go a long way towards helping us to reach our mission of bringing reading to the children of Bolivia. Please check out the fundraising guide for more details and suggestions for how you could fundraise, even if you are not currently based in your home country. BiblioWorks also does not provide any stipend or housing, however we are able to help volunteers locate low-cost housing.
Please send your CV and a completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to send us any questions that you may have as we are keen to make the process of volunteering as clear as possible!
Volunteer Application Form